If junior just spilled his grape juice box on your white plush you might be panicking but if you act fast you have a better chance of removing that spot before it turns into a stain. Here’s how to deal:
- Answer this Question: What kind of spot is this? Different substances call for different steps when they spill on your carpet. Refer to our handy guide to carpet spots and stains for guidance.
- Solid or Liquid? If there is solid material (like food) on the spot then remove that first with paper towels. If liquid is the problem then you will want to use a clean white cloth to soak up as much of the excess liquid as possible. Press the towel firmly over the stain in a downward motion. No rubbing! The idea is to absorb the liquid so as soon as your towel is too wet to soak up any more it’s time for a fresh towel. Repeat this process until your towel is coming up dry.
- Get Some Water.Seltzer water is great if you have it on hand but otherwise regular clean water will do. Dampen a fresh clean cloth with the water and blot at the stain. Don’t rub, rubbing only serves to spread the stain and push it deeper into the carpet. When your towel gets dirty get a fresh one and repeat until you have removed as much of the stain as possible.
- Try a Spot Removing Product. Again, make sure you check the guide first to see if that is recommended for your particular spot. If it is then apply the product, make sure to follow the instructions on the label very carefully for best results. Most products require a specified amount of time to do their job. After that amount of time is up you’ll want to blot the stain again with a clean cloth and some more water. You don’t want the area to be soaking we so go easy on the water.
- Let it Dry. Enough said.
- Assess the Results. Once the area is dried check to see if you can still see the stain. If you do then treat it one more time with the stain remover.
If you acted fast and followed these steps, then odds are your carpet looks fine and the spot has been removed. If your were unable to remove the stain then it’s probably time to get some help from professional carpet cleaners, give us a call!