Whether it was a wild party or even if it was a civilized sit down: alcohol stains on carpet are no fun! If what was spilled was a mixed drink as opposed to straight alcohol then you may need to address the other ingredients of the cocktail before you treat the alcohol stain. (food dyes, fruit juice, etc.)
Alcohol contains sugars so treating the stain caused by even straight alcohol is important, it may look worse with time!
- First soak up as much of the spill as possible with paper towels, blotting.
- Mix a couple of drops of mild dish detergent in some warm water and apply that to the area affected by the stain. Let it sit a few minutes before soaking up the liquid again with clean towels. Press down with even pressure to absorb liquid that may be deeper in the carpet. No rubbing!.
- Now rinse with clean water, don’t get the carpet too wet.
- Dry again and assess the stain, is it gone?
If the stain is still visible you can try:
- Mix 2 tsp of white vinegr in 2 cups of warm water, pour that carefully onto the stain.
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Rinse again and dry again.